Bucklin logo items to show your interest in American history.
You do not have to be
JBS site v.013
Copyright,1998 through 2013, Leonard Bucklin..
Read Copyright, Disclaimer, and Other Legal
Society provides private and personal, escorted, guided, tours to "Places Named Bucklin".
Hotel and restaurants are carefully chosen. For each area of society focus,
we include a place named Bucklin, and also special places that most
tourists pass by, because of lack of knowledge of the area. Bucklin
VIP "designer" personally guided tours are fun, informative, and
memorable, with superior food and lodging . Read
more about our history focus VIP tours.
The Bucklin family name is associated with several
towns, counties, hills, businesses, and
Special page: Places in Rhode Island of Interest to
There is, as you may expect, because the founder of the
Bucklin family in the United States , William Bucklin, lived mostly in Rhode
Island, and generations of Bucklins have lived there, there are several Bucklin place names in Rhode Island.
That's why we have a special page (link above) about Rhode Island.
But don's overlook almost every other state in the present
United States. Of course, states New England states are prominent. Good examples of Bucklin place names are found in the adjacent towns of Adams and Cheshire
in Massachusetts. The Bucklins were a vital force in those towns. Take a look at our Special page; Adams, MA.
Bucklin Hill is located in West Guilford, a few miles east of Halifax,
VT, in the Green River valley of
southeastern Vermont. Halifax is an
entirely rural township comprised of wooded, steep valleys. It is the second
oldest town in Vermont, chartered by King George the Second before the birth of
the American republic. Bucklin had farm on the hill before 1778, when Rev.
Benjamin Bucklin started a Baptist church on the property.
Gerry, Chautauqua Co., NY was once (early 1800's) known as
Bucklin's Corners, and was populated by Bucklins (James and son Willard,
among others) that moved from Windham Co., VT.
more about the history of Gerry. The area was an
unbroken wilderness up to1815, when several families, all from Vermont, came to
start new lives. "Vermont" and "Bucklin's Corners" were the first names attached
to the area. The first recognition of the name Vermont to this locality is found
in the town records of 1818: "A survey of a road beginning at a pine stump near
James Bucklin's house, said stump standing in the highway now designated by the
name of Vermont." However, in 1820 James Bucklin opened a hotel which
caused the place to be known as "Bucklin's Corners." Bucklin's were early
prominent in the Bucklin's Corners area. The first town meeting, in 1830,
included the election of Willard Bucklin as one of the two commissioners of
highways, and James Bucklin, Jr., as one of the three overseers of poor. (For a
period of six years beginning 1856, James Bucklin, Jr., was the supervisor of
the substantial Gerry Orphanage, which cared for both children and also aged
persons without means for their own support.) However, the post office was named
"Vermont" until 1876, when Gerry became the name of the post office and the
village area of Bucklin's Corners became Gerry.
There is a Bucklin, Franklin Co., MA. We do not know anything more
about it. Anyone give us any ideas of why the town is named Bucklin?
you a Bucklin going to the wine country of California? Do not miss the
Bucklin Old Hill Ranch winery. Absolutely
wonderful wine from the oldest vineyard in Sonoma County. Four Bucklins and
a historical vineyard with a unique place in wine history!
This winery is not connected with the Bucklin Hill Farm in
southeastern Vermont (see down the page about the Vermont Bucklin Hill Farm.)
Kansas, which has a city named Bucklin, which of course has a
lot of businesses that include "Bucklin" in their business name. Bucklin, Ford
County, Kansas, United States, population was 710 in 1990 (it's now 725) with the city land
area being a total of 353 acres. Since 1990 the population has been shrinking.
We thought you might like to see what it looked like in 1909.
Anything Kansas has, Missouri had it earlier, is what they say in Bucklin,
MO. Bucklin, Linn County, Missouri, United States, population
was 616 in 1990 with a land area of 702 acres. (Fewer people but more land than
the city in Kansas.) It claims to have been named Bucklin before the town in
Kansas. In 1845 James H. Watson and Dr. John F. Powers established Bucklin
Township in Missouri. Bucklin was named after Major James McGee Bucklin, Chief
Engineer of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad, in a failed bid to get the
railroad division point. In 1866 the town of Bucklin was incorporated, and one James H. Wyett became the first "Lord Mayor of Bucklin"..
Bucklin MO, Bucklin, KS, and Bucklinville, IL are all the
result of James McGee Bucklin's railroad building and the efforts of localities
to get a railroad division point at their city. When the same railroad
ran through all three of these towns, it must have been amusing to get on the
train in Bucklinville, travel all day west and get off the train in Bucklin, get
on the next day and travel west some more and get off the train again in
Bucklin Township, Michigan, was near present day Wayne.
Three Algonquin tribes - Potawatomi, Ojibwa, and Ottawa - met each year on the
middle fork of the Rouge River at the site of Nankin Mills to establish hunting
territories. In 1824, territorial Governor William Cass created Bucklin
Township, which covered the cities now known as Westland, Livonia, Wayne and
Garden City. Bucklin Township was later divided into Nankin and Livonia
Townships. This Bucklin Township was named after a William Bucklin who was
a fascinating man. He realized when the Erie cannel was being built that
money could be made by the man owning land in Michigan Territory when settlers
arrive there via the to-be-built cannel. He secured a judicial commission from
President Madison and used it (trading services for land) to gain land which he
sold to new arrivals to the Territory. (400 acres he owned became a century
later a part of the site of the Henry Ford Plant. See Michigan
section of the State Guide Series by the Federal Writers' project.
Bucklin of the Bucklin Michigan area was the First Sergeant of Company F
of the 24th
Regiment of the Iron Brigade was killed in action at Gettysburg. The
Iron Brigade suffered the highest percentage of casualties of any brigade in the
Civil War. (80% of its 2000 men were killed in action in the first day at
"Of the Field Officers of the 24th, Col. Morrow was prostrated
by a scalp wound, and remained for some time in the hands of the enemy. Lieut.
Col. Mark Flanigan, ... lost a leg. Major Edwin B. Wright, ... lost an eye,...
As all the Field Officers were wounded, the command devolved upon Capt. Albert
M. Edwards....Col. Morrow commends very highly ....Sergt. Major Andrew J. Conner
and 1st Sergt. Geo. W. Haight, who fought with wounds still unhealed, and ...1st
Sergeant Charles Bucklin and corporal G. W. Evans, are praised for their bravery
and purity of life; they were both killed on the field."
The death of Charles Bucklin resulted in the Bucklin name
being placed into some place or organization references in his
area of Michigan. Charles Bucklin was a product of the Midwestern social culture of the 1800's . The Brigade in
which he fought,
the Iron Brigade, known as the Iron Brigade of the West, was an
infantry brigade composed of regiments from states that are today considered
Midwestern. Noted for its strong discipline, its unique uniform appearance, and
its tenacious fighting ability,
There also is a Bucklin Township in Slope County, North
Dakota. Slope County is in the far southwest corner of North Dakota. Ms
Schatz, the Clerk of Court for the Slope County tells us that Bucklin Township
was named after a man named John August Bucklin (Gus) who, in 1914, homesteaded
the south half of Section 28 in Bucklin Township, north of Marmarth, ND.
in 1914. John with his half brother Ted Johnson ranched there, raising
cattle and horses together. In 1917 John was elected county commissioner.
John Bucklin and Ted Johnson sold their ranch operations during the
drought in 1919. In 1926 John bought and operated the Corner Store in Marmarth.
He later sold the Corner Store and moved to Orleans, Nebraska.